2/01/2005

Bahati Greetings

[ . BACK to WORLDKIGO . TOP . ]
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 


Greetings for the Ginko in Keyole


Greetings from Dr Gabi Greve, Director of WHC World Kigo
Nairobi, 27 May 2006
--------------------------------------------------

Greeting at the start of the Ginkoo
-------------------------------

Dear Haiku friends in Kenya,

finally the great day of your first big Ginkoo, the Haiku walk, has come ! You must be so excited to be on your way, so just a short word of advice:

You will all walk through the same area, so try and see the small details around you, like looking through a microscope. Then your haiku will reflect many facets of this area. Your haiku will then show YOUR very own part of it and will definitely be unique. Even if 200 people walk around in the same place, you might find in the end that each one of you has his or her very special way of seeing and experiencing things.

When Isabelle san visited me in April, we talked a lot about this meeting and I am really sorry not to be with you today. But I gave her a small present for the three best haiku which will be selected today, so try hard !

A great thank you to all who helped prepare this day !

Now be on your way with all the best wishes from your Haiku friends worldwide.

Gabi from Japan
in the name of the World Kigo Database


Greeting at the Prize Giving
--------------------------

Dear friends, your day has come to an end and all haiku are now written and evaluated.

My most heartfelt best wishes to the winners of today's Haiku Meeting ! I hope you all learned a bit more about haiku and will continue to enjoy writing haiku.

Isabelle san will now hand you the three little presents. They are little notebooks to write haiku in, especially for Japanese of course, so you can enjoy looking at these small strange Japanese
characters. Maybe one day, through your continuous study of Haiku, you will even be able to read them !

As you will see, the lines are from top to bottom, in the typical way of writing Japanese !
To use them, you will have to turn the notebook to write in your way !

There are so many different things done differently in other cultures, but through haiku you can learn about many in a pleasant way !

I wish you all the best for your future events !

Gabi from Japan

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Greeting from Sakuo Nakamura to the Nairobi Ginkoo
27 May 2007
-----------------------------------------------

Dear Kenya boys and girls
I am a Japanese, living in Tokyo.

I like to paint pictures, and my work refers to the following story.

Three years ago my old sister has asked me to paint a picture. She was old and ill in bed for some time. Once she was very beautiful and received many love letters.
In my boyhood she was my flower of pride.

I decided to present her my Haiku with a picture. For encouraging her, I painted cherry blossoms and added a short haiku poem.

hana nari shi kimi iki iki to haru goto ni

The English translation means

once like a flower
you refresh
every spring




At first I made this poem in Japanese and translated it to English. This was my first experience to make Haiku.

After that, I have been trying to make haiku with English and Japanese. In those processes, I found that I could start thinking haiku by both languages that finally reach at a single concept.

Haiku consists of few words so that each word of every language should have the same meaning.
This is why I recommend you to make haiku in the language of yours and English, and maybe later in Japanese. The practice will help you to learn foreign languages.

There is one difficult point in bilingual haiku. The point comes from the gap of culture. There are two types of gaps.
One belongs to space, that is between countries.
Your mountain is perhaps red in color but mine are green.
You have a wide desert. We are surrounded by sea.

The other gap is time, for example, that is between myself and the Japanese haiku poet Issa who lived 200 years ago in Japan. I drink coffee now but Issa did not know coffee.

How do you get over those gaps of time and space ?

One assistance is by pictures or photos that bring the image to your mind. So I paint haiga (haiku with an attached picture) in my BLOG called "Everyday Issa".

Issa is one of famous haiku poet in Japan. You can meet him in Dr. David's site on the Internet.

http://haikuguy.com/issa/

http://sakuo3903.blogspot.com


Issa, David and I, Sakuo are flying to anywhere in the world. We three can go anywhere by internet. Through the internet the whole world can get in unison physically, but really we are struggling with each other.

Let's learn haiku to deepen our mutual understanding. Therefore peace comes true.

Sakuo Nakamura in Tokyo


*****************************
Back to the Ginko in Kayole

BACK: Kayole, 27 May 2006


[ . BACK to WORLDKIGO . TOP . ]
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::